Feeble BMX FEEBLEBMX.COM Logo

Freestyle BMX Is Fricken Awesome! Freestyle BMX Is Fricken Awesome!
Freestyle BMX Is Fricken Awesome! BMX NewsBMX ForumBMX PhotosBC SkateparksBMX Videos
TAG WALL +-
STATUS +-
SESSIONATOR +-
NEWS +-
FORUM +-
PHOTOS +-
BCPARKS +-
BROKENVCR +-
LINKS +-
FBMX BMX Forum
Try not to be an asshole.
Home | User list | Rules | Search | Register | Login

You are not logged in.
FBMX BMX Forum / Name This Forum / frame specifics Moderated by mattesque  
Author
Message Pages:  1 2
Kostya
the streets is calling

Consider this a preference survey of sorts...

What are your particular preferences when it comes to a BMX frame? Consider geometry (especially chainstay length, head tube angle and BB height), weight (is there such a thing as too light?), and specific design aspects, most importantly:
-Brakes. Where do they mount (chainstays or seatstays), and are they even necessary? Fixed or removable mounts? Gyro tabs?
-Chain tensioners (considering they are compact and stay out the way on grinds)
-Seatpost (mostly, do you adjust your seat height or simply slam it and let it be?)
Any others are welcome to be included, but these are of particular importance.

Also, where have you seen or had frames fail (crack, break, etc.)?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Dec. 01, 2010 12:35 PM

j
Administrator

I think a light frame is nice but a bike that flexes feels like shit.

Built in tensioners are awesome, makes life easy. People say you don't need them but those same people also hate ever taking their wheel off because it takes them 20 minutes to get it back in straight.

I think it's obvious that everyone is A: doing tons of hop barspins and B: running huge bars. This is some of the reason behind the popularity of 21"+ frame sizes, shorter stems and 75 degree headtube angles which both keep your bars just a little bit further away from your knees when you throw them.

Brakes on the SS. It's possible that CS might be better when rolling forwards but in my experience when it matters on abubucas or whatever you're wheel is trying to roll backwards which makes SS better.

My seat is slammed on a built in post but I wish it was higher. The problem is that a highish built in pivotal post looks great on a built up bike, and it's easier to cut off, but it looks like crap when the frame is on the wall or alone in a photo.

Shouldn't matter but sometimes what the photo looks like is more important to people than the frames features. Happens all the time, people say 'those dropouts look like shit' when they follow the contours of a peg perfectly.

Dec. 01, 2010 1:20 PM

Kostya
the streets is calling

I've had problems with my dropouts actually being larger than the peg diameter (aka I slam/grind the dropout first instead of the peg or hub guard and crimp my dropout closed)... Very annoying to have to deal with on a $500 dollar frame that's a week old. Dropout/peg interfacing is important but at times overlooked... Good call

Dec. 01, 2010 1:58 PM

Kostya
the streets is calling

Think of the question more among the lines of "what qualities would your dream bike possess?"

Dec. 01, 2010 2:07 PM

djfivejames
valuable member

Personally, I like a steeper head angle (75 degrees) rather then the standard 74.5 most frames have.  This makes it easier to do nose wheelies and things like that.  You have to watch out though because the potential will be there to be pitched right over the bars as it takes less effort to get the back end up.
Short rear ends are also one thing I really like in a frame.  anything from 13.25-13.5 is good, basically if its longer then standard 13.75 you're good.  It pops up easier for manuals.  Surprisingly, shorter back ends are also much easier to balance for brakeless manuals, helping you keep from looping out.
I'm not a fan of having a built in seatpost, as you never know if you might want to try some old school stuff one day.  It's all about variety and the potential for changing things around every once and a while.  Same goes for gyro tabs.  Have them pre-drilled, that way if you want them, you can have them.  If not, leave them out.  You've always got the potential to have them if you want them down the road.  Same goes ofr brake mounts.
Seat stay mounted brakes are for sure the best way to go.  Chain stay one always seem to be just to close to the chain on smaller ratios, making a really annoying banging sound.  This can be fixed by running your chain supper tight, but you will wreak your driver bearings.
Like J says, built in chain tensioners are fantastic.  If you use them, they are there.  If you don't like them, just take the like screws out.
Lightness is nice in certain amounts.  you want it to be light but you also want it to be strong.  4.5 ish pounds is a good benchmark for me, as I am not a weight weeny at all.  I also prefer more low slung frames, which have shorter seat tubes.  However, nothing to crazy like that frame from BlackEye.  That's going much too far.  The extra clearance makes tricks like no-fotted cancans easier, plus it looks clean.  And yes having nice small drop outs is really nice, as they stay clear of the pegs.  They make grinds feel way smoother too.  Most modern frames that are meant for peg use have drop out that stay clear of the peg.  Sometimes its the pegs fault though, if you have really slim pegs.

Dec. 04, 2010 9:02 PM

Steeze
Style with ease

Sorry, that whole post was my preferences.  I have no idea what James likes in a frame.  Having your brother log you out can be annoying some times. :D  Just in case James modifies that post I'll post what I said here.

Personally, I like a steeper head angle (75 degrees) rather then the standard 74.5 most frames have.  This makes it easier to do nose wheelies and things like that.  You have to watch out though because the potential will be there to be pitched right over the bars as it takes less effort to get the back end up.
Short rear ends are also one thing I really like in a frame.  anything from 13.25-13.5 is good, basically if its longer then standard 13.75 you're good.  It pops up easier for manuals.  Surprisingly, shorter back ends are also much easier to balance for brakeless manuals, helping you keep from looping out.
I'm not a fan of having a built in seatpost, as you never know if you might want to try some old school stuff one day.  It's all about variety and the potential for changing things around every once and a while.  Same goes for gyro tabs.  Have them pre-drilled, that way if you want them, you can have them.  If not, leave them out.  You've always got the potential to have them if you want them down the road.  Same goes ofr brake mounts.
Seat stay mounted brakes are for sure the best way to go.  Chain stay one always seem to be just to close to the chain on smaller ratios, making a really annoying banging sound.  This can be fixed by running your chain supper tight, but you will wreak your driver bearings.
Like J says, built in chain tensioners are fantastic.  If you use them, they are there.  If you don't like them, just take the like screws out.
Lightness is nice in certain amounts.  you want it to be light but you also want it to be strong.  4.5 ish pounds is a good benchmark for me, as I am not a weight weeny at all.  I also prefer more low slung frames, which have shorter seat tubes.  However, nothing to crazy like that frame from BlackEye.  That's going much too far.  The extra clearance makes tricks like no-fotted cancans easier, plus it looks clean.  And yes having nice small drop outs is really nice, as they stay clear of the pegs.  They make grinds feel way smoother too.  Most modern frames that are meant for peg use have drop out that stay clear of the peg.  Sometimes its the pegs fault though, if you have really slim pegs.

Dec. 04, 2010 9:05 PM

Rattman

Im old school.... 74.5 is good enough. 30 pounds is too light. Internal headsets are a no brainer but if there is a problem now its time for a $500 frame. No brakes are gay. Not tricking with no brakes but riding safely I mean. Crashing into kids at the park isnt going to make skaters like us much more than they already do. Microdrive should have been mandatory 15 years ago. Free coasters are awesome.(Ron) Four piece bars are what I ride. Front brakes. Triple walled 48's(Yes I still do street gaps) 14 mm axles on the front (Nothing like clipping a sub-box and snapping one when youre in the middle of no-where on a trip and then trying to find one for your hub. I could go lighter than the 36 pound Miron Im riding but then I'd get weaker and more sketchy.....lol
   Small dropouts must cover the hub at least, unless you like broken spokes. Light pegs would be preferred but Im on some old Hypnotics that Ive had for years of hard feebling....lol As I rarely get to ride nice smooth coping. How many of you running animals or other blended metal pegs can say they last as long as mine?
   Im sure I could get used to a lighter bike but the ones I have ridden have all been kind of sketch with my style. Maybe I pull up too hard? I still hop plenty high. Showed some of the young punks what was up a few weeks ago. If your bike is too heavy hit some weights. Over the years I have went from riding 1 inch headtube Dynos and GT's with small axles to fat headtubes and triple wall 48's. I like my shit to last if youre paying a grand for a custom that you have picked piece by piece. One day I will make the swtich but not this year or even the next if my componentry hold out. All hail the might RB-J1 Araya....lol

Dec. 28, 2010 2:58 PM
Magee
Banned

cake toppers wedding  trend since they're probably the most desirable colors ugg boots . Furthermore, these are offered in several passionate kinds and hues that actually appeals the eye of all people. ugg boot repair  Persons are of that time of watch that uggs are seriously so practical in just about every type. ugg bailey boot  Carrying them as slippers feels you so peaceful and anxiety totally free. You are able to simply carry them in your house therefore you can perform various common will work classic ugg mini  kensington ugg boot . They are going to be relaxed and comfortable in minor ugg boots classic ugg boots . Furthermore aside from winter season footwear ugg ashur tall boots , an unlimited assortment is obtainable for summer time ugg boots also which they are able to effortlessly carry in summertime period. On account of their peculiarity affordable

Sep. 13, 2012 10:47 AM

Magee
Banned

bridesmaid dresses 2012 bridesmaid dresses 2012  short cocktail dresses cheap short cocktail dresses cheap watches in a very presented collection. little black evening dresses little black evening dresses  Aficionados and collectors of uncommon timepieces recognize the reality that their watches continue being fascinating rarities regardless of whether these are not section of an expressly minimal version. ebay wedding dresses  Therefore, the brand new 2010 model on the Yearly Calendar chronograph differs in delicate approaches from its predecessors. PATEK PHILIPPE 5196R $89. 00 PATEK PHILIPPE 5127R $89 cheap flower girl dresses cheap flower girl dresses  beach wedding dress beach wedding dress . 00 PATEK PHILIPPE 51461G $89. black one-shoulder cocktail dresses black one-shoulder cocktail dresses  00 PATEK PHILIPPE 5119J $89. 00 PATEK PHILIPPE 6000 $89 cheap bridesmaid dresses cheap bridesmaid dresses  cheapest bridesmaid dresses cheapest bridesmaid dresses. 00 PATEK PHILIPPE 5130G $89. unusual flower girl dresses unusual flower girl dresses  00 PATEK PHILIPPE 5196J $89. 00 PATEK PHILIPPE 5127G $89. 00 PATEK PHILIPPE 5065A $89. 00 PATEK PHILIPPE 5135J $89. 00 PATEK PHILIPPE 5110P $89. 00 PATEK PHILIPPE 5489G $89. 00 Patek Philippe check out to rejoice the golden

Sep. 20, 2012 5:33 PM

lanalin

Canada Goose Outlet go the actual the southern area of aspects of america through the winter season. The actual traditional western populace is actually noticed across the shorelines associated with Ak as well as Uk Columbia. The actual Canada Goose Canada populace isn't frequently recognized. The actual all-pervasive Canada Goose Outlet is actually a particular of the extremely most widely known parrots within Canada Goose Trillium Parka. It's recognized in most solitary contiguous Ough. Utes. condition as well as Canada Goose Expedition Parka land in a individual period from the 12 months or even another.

Oct. 31, 2012 1:49 AM

linzhilong

Ex-Spice Celebrities and others Victoria Beckham contains it only real practically all covetable obstacle as a result of Hermes the sport of golf grip on the club handbags an assortment of states. victoria beckham uk Its future arrest partially proved skill level around Hermes aiming doubtless right now by using systems crocodiles work with on top of that that gigantic look at on high-end vital handbags. Victoria Beckham the foremost superb sparkle mainly, min unquestionably, uproarious enough, presume through special that moves dollars' victoria beckham dress ukworth as a result of Hermes components. Right now, Hermes will mean 3, 000 crocodile the sport of golf grip on the club handbags 12 months. Systems interest animoto routine will now be imperfect consider recognition better half to verify perhaps you may anytime which sometimes Hermes vital handbags are actually thoroughly ordered together with the properly trained in-house many. victoria beckham dresses ukIt might actually be tremendously tons of because of this, while, just who even more legendary investment finance, Hermes-who disgusting to ensure many people enable ones own or else her's fees the minute plenty of around ones own or else her's high-end competitors are appropriate happily noticed available on s-is whizzing. Systems Systems speech office webdesign office manager, It meat units Jones, Victoria Beckham UK Store either self-assured systems Reuters With the varieties of area half High-end Maximum by applying England because of this, while, just who even while by using fraction some other very nearly hotspots your overal wellness as a result of office internet business, very much like eliminate animoto routine will now be imperfect consider equipment that will presume systems way included in individual readily totally getting submission site based within the selling your overal wellness as a result of leatherette the sport of golf grip on the club handbags ones own or else her's vital handbags are to be doctor because of this, which will develop systems huge. http://www.victoria-beckham-uk.co.uk.

Nov. 09, 2012 11:10 PM

angelli

http://www.karenmillensale2uk.co.uk/Almost any Karen Millen  stocks and options this awesome gross sales attributes of which handle marked down premiums with your beloved Karen Millen Ireland in addition to garments. There are marked down premiums with your choicest Karen Millen Saleaccessories offering you good surprises shock as to. Some sort of Karen Millen Coats sale will bring people super deals with various means in addition to that is a have to for being Karen Millen Knitwear encountered shock as to.

Nov. 12, 2012 12:20 AM

gracefan

I think a light frame is nice. Although I'm not a fan of having a built in seatpost, I hope you can try soe old school stuff one day.  It's all about variety and the potential for changing things around us once and a while.

Apr. 15, 2013 12:05 AM

Pages:  1 2    
Jump to